Pages

.

Tuesdays At The Table - Chicken Caprese Sandwiches

Happy Tuesday, ladies!  After my long weekend - it was awfully hard motivating myself to return to work Monday morning.  I wish I could tell you I did lots of fun and exciting things over my long weekend.  Unfortunately - that's not the case this time.  Instead, I spent quality time with my mom, aunts and grandmother. It was my grandmother's turn to be in the hospital (AGAIN, poor thing!!).  Four days, two hospitals and a pacemaker later...things are looking up!


Caprese salad is one of my favorite, but the sandwich version is pretty darn yummy too.

Lovely Yellow Ribbons

Chicken Caprese Sandwiches
2 small ciabatta loaves, cut in the middle
2 chicken breasts (cooked)
2 fresh mozzarella balls
2 Roma (plum) tomatoes
Handful of fresh basil leaves
Olive oil

Cut your ciabatta in half; slice your mozzarella, chicken & tomatoes.  On both sides of your ciabatta bread, give a very light drizzle of olive oil.  Lay down a layer of fresh basil leaves, then tomatoes - followed by the chicken and finally your mozzarella.

Now that you have the base recipe, I have a few improvements for you:
1. Toast your ciabatta, then rub a garlic clove over the inside.  Very tasty!
2.  Assemble as normal and pull out your panini maker...or a skillet and foil wrapped brick. Toasty goodness!
3. Forgo the basil on the sandwich and use a quick pesto instead.  Recipe below.

Pesto
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil
2 to 3 cloves garlic
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup olive oil

Dump into the food processor and whir until all ingredients come together.  Remember - this should be a bit on the chunky side...not emulsified!

What's cooking in your kitchen?


No comments:

Post a Comment