Pages

.

Peaches and cream popsicles


My brother and I used to be popsicle fiends. I wish I was kidding here. When I was old enough to drive on my own, he and I would make monthly "popsicle runs" to our local grocery store. Our mom would give us about $20-$30 for us to spend on frozen treats. He and I would return with all kinds of frozen goodies - from push pops to fudgsicles to Italian ices. And yes, we'd spend all of the money that Mom gave us each time.

I haven't indulged in popsicles as much as an adult. I know that they are generally not very good for me and filled with preservatives and artificial flavorings and colors. I finally got smart and bought my very first popsicle mold set and couldn't wait to make my own popsicles. The question now was - which flavor combination do I try first?

The same week my molds arrived, our biweekly CSA delivery included 4-5 fresh peaches that I was excited to dig into. I didn't want them to go bad so I decided to make some peaches and cream popsicles. I was initially worried about the tartness from the Greek yogurt (and not quite sure if Addie would eat it), but these were perfect. The three of us ate our popsicles together after dinner one evening and all of us had the biggest smiles on our faces because they were so good and hit the spot. Addie was proud of herself because she helped me push the button on the blender to mix these so these were essentially popsicles that she had "made."

The popsicles are slightly tart from the Greek yogurt, but those flavors are nicely balanced out by the simple syrup and natural sugars from the ripened peaches. Addie wanted another popsicle to eat, so these are definitely toddler-approved as well. I'm already thinking about what flavors to make next and hope that my little girl will help me again. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't turn out like my brother and I and spend $30 on frozen treats that we can easily make at home. Only time will tell.

Peaches and cream popsicles
  • 1/4 cup + 1 TBSP granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise (I subbed with about 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract)
  • 2 cups pitted, sliced and peeled peaches (about 2-3 medium peaches)
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 2%)
  • 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)

Directions
In a small saucepan over medium high heat, melt the sugar and water. Slice the vanilla bean down the middle and scrap out the seeds and add it to the saucepan. Add the vanilla bean pod to the saucepan as well and bring everything to a boil. Keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat, remove the vanilla bean pod and allow the sugar syrup to chill.

Alternatively, if you are not using a vanilla bean pod, you can add about 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the sugar/water mixture and allow it to come to a boil. I was lazy and did not allow the mixture to cool down much before adding it to the next step.

Puree the pitted, sliced and peeled peaches and sugar syrup in a food processor. Add the heavy cream, Greek yogurt and optional bourbon and blend until the mixture is smooth.

Transfer the liquid mixture to 4 popsicle molds and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm. To unmold the popsicles, you can either run the popsicle molds under hot water for about a minute or dip the molds in hot water.

Yield: 4 (4-ounce) popsicles

Source: The Craving Chronicles; originally adapted from Bon Appetit

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment