Pages

.

Tiramisu

One of my dear friends, Krystal of Mrs. Regueiro's Plate, asked me if I wanted to collaborate with her and make tiramisu. I adore Krystal and wanted to do a joint posting with her. Plus, tiramisu was something on my baking bucket list, so of course I agreed. Tiramisu is a dessert that I enjoy ordering when we eat at Italian restaurants. I always thought that tiramisu seemed complicated so I avoided making this for the longest time. Also, since neither my husband nor I are coffee drinkers, it was the perfect excuse for me to not make tiramisu.

The flavors of my tiramisu were wonderful, but I am ashamed to admit that I made some silly amateur baking errors. I dunked my ladyfingers, so the spongy layers were way too soggy. And I was dumb and used a full cup of cold heavy cream instead of 3/4 of a cup (I was trying to finish off a carton of heavy cream). Therefore, my mascarpone layer was too watery. I thought I could get away with these small changes, but it turns out that my miscalculations resulted in a very watery and soggy dessert. Regardless, I still enjoyed the flavors and would make it again, but next time I will make sure to follow the directions exactly.

If you haven't already, please hop over to Krystal's blog to see how her tiramisu turned out.

Thanks, Krystal, for making tiramisu with me, and I hope to bake many more things with you!

Tiramisu
  • 2 and 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature
  • 1 and 1/2 TBSP instant espresso granules
  • 4 and 1/2 TBSP Kahlua
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 and 1/2 pounds mascarpone
  • 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
  • 14 ounces (42 to 60, depending on size) dried ladyfingers (savoiardi)
  • 3 and 1/2 TBSP cocoa (preferably Dutch-processed), separated
  • 1/4 cup grated semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (optional)

Directions
In a medium to large bowl, stir together the coffee, espresso granules, and 2 and 1/2 tablespoons of Kahlua until the espresso granules dissolve; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks at low speed until just combined. Add the sugar and salt and beat at medium-high speed until the yolks are pale yellow. It will take about 2 minutes. Be sure to stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl with a  rubber spatula at least once or twice. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of Kahlua and mix at medium speed until just combined, about 20 to 30 seconds. Then add the mascarpone and whisk at medium speed until no lumps remain, about 30 to 45 seconds. Stop the mixer at least once or twice to scrape down the bowl. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.

Using the same stand mixer bowl with the whisk attachment (you do not need to clean it), beat the cream at medium speed for about 90 seconds. Then increase speed to high and continue to whisk the cream until it reaches stiff peaks, about another minute or two longer. Using a silicone spatula, fold one-third of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until no white streaks remain. Set aside.

Individually dip (do not dunk like I did) each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture for about 2-3 seconds total. Place the laydfingers in a single layer in a 9x13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish.

Using a silicone spatula, spread half of the mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers and into the corners of the dish. Smooth out the mixture. Place 2 tablespoons of cocoa in a sieve or fine-mesh strainer and gently dust the cocoa over the mascarpone.

Repeat the process and dip more ladyfingers, arrange them on top of the cocoa, cover with the remaining mascarpone mixture and dust with the remaining 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa.

Cover the tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours. If desired, grate some chocolate and sprinkle over the top. Cut into slices and serve the dessert chilled.

Yield: One 9 x 13 inch pan

Source: Meggles' Meals; originally adapted from the November & December 2007 issue of Cook’s Illustrated


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment