Pages

.

Apple pie


An apple pie is perfect for the fall. My husband continuously raves about his grandmother's apple pie, and I am so sad that I never got to meet her or taste her amazing food before she passed. Luckily, my mother-in-law had Grandma R's apple pie and gave it to me way back in 2003. I've been too chicken to try making it on my own.

My sister-in-law gave me a pie plate, pastry cutter and a pie crust (dry) mix for Christmas last year. I no longer had an excuse to put off this recipe! My husband was super excited when told him that I was going to tackle this recipe once and for all. The only part I cheated on was the crust - since I had a pre-mixed crust, I did not attempt the homemade version.  Well, at least not yet.  I'll need to do that next time.

My husband's Aunt Jo also makes a fantastic version of Grandma R's apple pie. Of the numerous pie varieties that she makes from scratch, this is by far my favorite. Mom Lu, Aunt Jo and Grandma R, I hope I did you good!

Ingredients
Pie Crust
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup lard
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 6-8 TBSP water
Directions
Mix all ingredients together and stir minimally. Roll thin. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Turn down to 350 degrees until pie is done.

Filling
  • 3-4 apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 TBSP flour
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Enough milk to make a thick sauce
Combine the sugar, flour cinnamon and milk. Toss with the apples.
Put the filling into the baked pie crust and top with another layer of crust. Using a paring knife, make a few slits in the crust.

Wet the top of the crust with a little bit of milk and then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.

Cool and enjoy!

Source: My mother-in-law Lu; originally from Grandma R


No comments:

Post a Comment