Pages

.

Angel food cake

Well, it happened again.  I made some ice cream, but this time I was left with 6 egg whites instead of the normal five. I took a look at David Lebovitz's blog to see if I could make any of his recommended recipes for leftover egg whites. I didn't want to make macarons again and decided against the pavlova this time. Angel food cake sounded tempting, but his recipe called for 12 egg whites.  Hmm.

Off to Google I went. At last, I found a recipe for an angel food cake on Cookie Baker Lynn. Her recipe looked promising since it only called for 6 egg whites and was a smaller version of an angel food cake. Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

This cake could not have been easier to make. It's almost a one-bowl cake, which makes clean-up super easy. And the resulting cake is just what I had wanted - a light, fluffy and airy cake with just a touch of sweetness.  I know this would taste even better with a dollop of freshly whipped cream on top, but I ran out of whipped cream. Regardless, this is a winner in my book, and since it's baked in a 9x9 square pan, I won't have too many leftovers!

Ingredients
  • 6 egg whites at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup sifted cake flour (I used 1/2 cup all purpose flour and replaced 1 TBSP of it with 1 TBSP of corn starch)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/8 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut (I did not use)
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 deg. F. Position rack in the center of the oven.
Beat egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.

Sprinkle flour over egg white mixture; fold in carefully. Gently fold in flavoring.

Pour batter into an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan about 40 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment