Pages

.

Warm apple buttermilk custard pie

I recently got the chance to participate in another secret recipe swap that Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking organized. This time, I was assigned Ammie's blog, Adventures in My Kitchen.  There were a few recipes that I considered on Ammie's blog before I decided on this one. My husband loves apple pie, and I thought that this would be a nice variation of one of his all-time favorite desserts.

Stupid me should have checked the fridge before I made the pie. I only had two eggs, so I made the custard with only half the amount of eggs called in the recipe. My final pie came out slightly jiggly and was much better than expected, but I know that it would have been yummier if I had used the 4 full eggs listed. (What was I thinking? How could I not have enough eggs?!?  Dumb rookie baking error. Grumble.)

Another mistake I made was using too many apples.  I used two large and one small apple, and although I loved the additional apples in this pie, they filled up the crust so much that I had too much custard left over and had to throw the remainder out. Next time I make this (and there will be a next time!), I will reduce the number of apples so there is a better apple to custard ratio.

Despite my moronic errors, the apple buttermilk pie was still divine. My parents happened to be over when I served the pie, and both thought it was too sweet for their tastes (they don't eat sweets very often, so take their opinion for what you will). My husband, my official taste-tester extraordinaire, thought it was fine just the way it was. He gladly ate 3 pieces in a 24 hour period. And counting.

Thank you, Ammie, for an awesome variation of the traditional apple pie! I can't wait to try this pie again and make it correctly the next time!

Ingredients
1 pie crust (I bought a premade frozen pie crust to save time, but homemade would be just as tasty)

For Apple Filling:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 green and 1 red apple, peeled, cored and sliced (I used 2 Braeburns and 1 Fuji)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For Custard:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs (I only had 2 eggs in the fridge so my custard turned out slightly jiggly)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
For Crumb Topping:
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 Tbsp butter
Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

To make Apple Filling: In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter.  Add apples, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.  Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.  Set aside.

To make Custard: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1/4 cup softened butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar, and beat until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating until they are no longer yellow.  Add vanilla and 2 Tbsp flour, and combine well.  Pour in buttermilk and beat until smooth.  Set aside.

To make Crumb Topping: Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl.  Cut in 3 Tbsp butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly.

Spoon Apple Filling into pie crust.  Pour Custard over Apple Filling.  Top Custard with Crumb Topping. (I baked my pie for 50 minutes, added the crumb topping and then baked for an additional 30 minutes. As a result, part of the sugar in the crumb topping didn't melt completely. Next time, I will add the crumb topping at the beginning and bake the full 80 minutes. Ammie went this route and didn't have a problem with a burnt top.)

Place in preheated oven and bake for 70 to 80 minutes (I baked mine for 80 minutes), until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 1 hour before serving.  Serves 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment