Pages

.

Rice krispies treats with homemade marshmallows

I don't know what is wrong with me. After I made homemade marshmallows, I actually had some left over. Even after snacking on some here and there, I still had some floating around the house. That takes a lot of self restraint, people, even though I normally am not a fan of marshmallows. I mean, these things were good.

I also had some crispy rice cereal leftover (what's up with me and leftovers?!) from the chocolate chip cereal bars. I put on my thinking cap... marshmallows, crispy rice cereal.  Duh - rice krispies treats! Since I only had a few homemade marshmallows left, I knew I wouldn't be able to make a full batch that thousands of blogs feature. I had to set out and make my own mini version.

Because I was limited in the amount of marshmallows I had, I only needed 2 cups of the crispy rice cereal. They spread out pretty thin in my pan, but I'll just call that portion control. I do love thick rice krispies treats, but the thin ones tasted just as good.

If you ever find yourself with some leftover homemade marshmallows, you can certainly make this recipe. Otherwise, feel free to make it the old fashioned way with the store-bought kind. Both versions are good!

Ingredients
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 10 homemade marshmallows (about 1-inch squares)
  • 2 cups crispy rice cereal
Directions
Butter (or add baking spray to) an 8x8 pan.

Over medium heat, melt the butter and marshmallows in a tall nonstick pot. Stir until the mixture is uniform and is thoroughly combined. Turn off the burner and add the crispy rice cereal. Stir until the marshmallow mixture is fully incorporated with the cereal.

Evenly spread the cereal mixture into the pan and press down with your spatula (may need to oil it to prevent it from sticking). 

Let the treats harden for at least 20 minutes. Cut into bars and serve.

Source: Adapted from The Gluten Free Lab

No comments:

Post a Comment