Pages

.

Porcupine Meatballs #SundaySupper

     This week #SundaySupper is going retro!  That's right, this week the theme is retro recipe then and now.  At first I had no idea what to make.  I make mostly modern recipes and don't often cook retro because of the fat and calories in many older recipes.


      While searching for recipes I can across Porcupine Balls.  Do you know the recipe I mean?  I used to eat these fairly often as a child but I bet I haven't had them in over 20 years.  I was talking about them at work the other day and only about half the people there knew what I was talking about.  They aren't anything fancy, simply meatballs made with rice.  That's it!

       I did a little research to see when these were most popular and it looks like they first came about in the 70's but were popular into the 80's when I was a child.  The meatballs are supposed to be formed into extra large meatballs.  I made them large but not nearly as big as I remember them because I wanted to be able to eat them.  Because they have rice in them there's no need for a side dish.  I served mine with a side salad.  It really brought me back to my childhood.

      What dish makes you think of your childhood?  Would you try to recreate it nowadays?

Porcupine Meatballs (adapted from Everyday Mom's Meals)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1-2 T. olive oil
1/2 c.instant rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, beaten
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. black pepper
3 c. marinara sauce

1.  In a large bowl combine the ground beef, rice, garlic, egg, oregano, and black pepper.  Mix well using your hands.

2.  Form into 10-12 large meatballs.

3.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Brown the meatballs on all sides.

4.   Pour the marinara sauce into the pan and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.



Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
This post linked to:
Whatcha Whipped Up Back For Seconds,

No comments:

Post a Comment