Pages

.

Tuesdays At The Table - Creamy Spinach Lasagna

Howdy, girls!!  Did everyone have a fun weekend?!  I did!!  I got to hang out with Kristin Friday night, got to celebrate my Grandma's 89th birthday on Saturday and got tons of cooking, cleaning and organizing done on Sunday.  :-)

This week I'm sharing a recipe that I tinker with each time I make it.  I absolutely love spinach, and if I'm cooking for my mom (a vegetarian) this makes her happy - most people I know are looking for a little meat in their lasagna.  To make the lasagna more "protein friendly", I tend to add ground turkey that I've given a quick browning to.

Photobucket


Creamy Spinach Lasagna

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry (or 2 and a half cups of FRESH spinach)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
Cooking spray
12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, divided
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella and asiago cheese, divided (or the "italian blend" cheese)


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cooking 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes (until spinach is tender). Set aside.

Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.

Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top.

What's cooking in your kitchen?


No comments:

Post a Comment