Pages

.

Fresh peach ice cream for my blogiversary

Today is my one year blogiversary! I cannot believe that I have been doing this for a year already. Where has the time gone? And is there a better way to celebrate the occasion than a recipe for ice cream? I don't think so!

Every other Wednesday, I receive an email from our CSA that includes a sneak preview of what produce will be arriving in our biweekly Friday delivery. One of the emails I received this month said that the CSA box would contain fresh peaches. Yay! I love peaches, and I was really looking forward to the farm-fresh stone fruit.

I wanted to make a peach ice cream to showcase my ripened fruit and satisfy my ice cream cravings. Naturally, I went directly to my copy of The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz and found what I needed. This man is a genius, I tell you. Genius!

I was surprised that the ice cream didn't start off with the traditional custard base but was happy that I would not have to deal with another 5 or 6 egg whites for this ice cream. Instead, I would need to start off by cooking the peaches in a simple syrup type of liquid and then puree the fruit with heavy cream and sour cream. My husband immediately cringed when I said that I needed to buy sour cream. "You need sour cream for ice cream?" he said. "Trust me," I responded back.

As soon as he took a bite into the fresh peach ice cream, my husband did not mention the sour cream again. He was a believer and quickly devoured the remaining ice cream in his bowl. He enjoyed the beautiful peach flavor from the ripe fruit and didn't even notice the subtle tang that the sour cream provided in the background.

The only complaint I have about this recipe is that it used up all my fresh peaches from our CSA box. I would have loved about a dozen more!

And of course, thanks to all of you who continue to read this and inspire me to try out new recipes. I hope to share many more wonderful desserts with you!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 lbs. ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
  • ½ cup water
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
  • A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice (I omitted)
Directions
Put the peaches and water in a medium saucepan. Cook covered over medium heat until the peaches are soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes.  You'll want to stir the mixture at least once or twice.

Remove the pan from the heat, add the sugar, and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. 

Transfer the peaches and liquid to a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients (sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice).  Blend in short spurts until the mixture is well combined.  For a smoother ice cream with no peach chunks, continue blending until smooth.

Chill the ice cream mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (at least 4-6 hours or up to overnight). Once chilled, transfer to your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. 

Source: The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz; page 89

No comments:

Post a Comment