Pages

.

Sesame Wafer Cookies

Sesame Wafer Cookies
Sesame Wafer Cookies

I recently spent a couple of days in Savannah Georgia on our family's great southern road trip vacation and of course had to drop in to The Lady and Sons Restaurant, Paula Deen's popular restaurant in the heart of the city's beautiful historic district. I can't wait to go back and visit this beautiful city again.

While there, I picked up a copy of Paula's Southern Cooking Bible where I found a version of this recipe from the South Carolina Low Country. I really love the flavor of sesame seeds  and crispy buttery wafer cookies too, so who better than the Queen of Butter to get a recipe like this from?

I used a little more vanilla than the original recipe and less sesame seeds because I thought there was a little too many in the original recipe and the result was absolutely delicious. I must have had about 4 of them before I stopped. These really are a perfect cookie with a cup of tea or coffee.

Cream together until light and fluffy:

1 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar

Add

1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat well.

Sift together

1/2 cup lightly toasted sesame seeds
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Chill the dough completely for several hours before dropping teaspoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet about 2  inches apart.

Bake at 325 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown throughout, even in the center to make sure that they are crispy. Watch them carefully because they can burn quickly.

Cool on the cookie sheet for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment