Pages

.

CSA Wednesdays: Korean Style Beef Tacos and Taco Salads

     School is finally out for the summer!  I am still working ESY this summer but I do have one week off and this is it!   Plus I only work Monday-Thursday and our farmer's market is on Friday, so I'll still be able to go.  I enjoyed my time at the farmer's market the week and I was excited by what I got in our CSA from Goodness Grows this week. 

    Included in our share this week was mixed greens, onions, peas, mint, cabbage, strawberry cream cheese, and garlic.  I made quick work of the mint, using it in my favorite mojitos.   They were perfect for the hot weekend weather.


    I made one of our typical summer meals, taco salads, using the mixed greens, garlic in with the ground beef, and put the sliced onions on top.  I was so excited to use the strawberry cream cheese.  I had planned to make a Bundt cake and top it with a strawberry cream cheese frosting, but it didn't last that long.  We ate the cream cheese on bagels for breakfast.


     Finally came the cabbage.  My husband loves cole slaw and my plan was to make him some but then I came across the recipe for Korean Style Beef Tacos which include a spicy pickled cabbage and I was totally sold on that.  I chopped up some of the green onions to sprinkle on top of the tacos and used the garlic in the meat.  I love that we get enough to use some of the ingredients in several different recipes.  The tacos were awesome and the perfect use for the cabbage!

Korean Style Beef Tacos (adapted from Cooking Light)
2 T. sugar
5 T. soy sauce
2 t. chile paste
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. dark sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. flank steak, sliced into thin strips
3 c. cabbage
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 T. sugar
2 t. chile paste
1 t. black pepper
1 T. olive oil
6 tortillas
2 green onions, chopped

1.  In a container with a lid mix the sugar, soy sauce, chile paste, lime juice, sesame oil, and garlic cloves.  Add the steak and cover.  Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

2.  Meanwhile, chop the cabbage and place it in a bowl along with the garlic cloves.

3.  In a small saucepan combine the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and chile paste.  Bring to a boil and then pour over top of the cabbage.  Toss to coat.  Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.


4.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the steak and sprinkle with the black pepper.  Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the steak is cooked through.

5.  Place the steak on a tortilla and top with the pickled cabbage.  Sprinkle with green onions.




No comments:

Post a Comment