Pages

.

Pasta Fagioli: Meatless Monday

     It's the last week of school until summer!  Woohoo!  I am happy that we will soon be out for the summer and I can take a much needed break.  I just have to get through this last week. Because of the large amount of snow days and even a few hurricane days from the fall, we're going pretty late this year. Our student's had 3 hurricane days waived so now the teachers have to go for 5 days after the students.  This wouldn't be bad if we had time to work in our rooms, but instead we have professional development everyday.  I'm as bad as my kids when I'm in PD; I can't sit still for more then 30 minutes.


     Since it's summer the farmer's market is in full swing and fresh fruits and vegetables are everywhere.  This week I wanted to make soup with some of those beautiful veggies.  I decided on Pasta Fagioli because I haven't had it in forever.  I bought some fresh spinach and carrots at the farmer's market and then got the rest of the ingredients at the market.

      Pasta Fagioli is great because it's a cross between vegetable soup and pasta with vegetables.  I love pasta in my soup so this was perfect for me.  The broth is very flavorful and each bite is full of pasta and veggies which makes it filling but still light enough to eat in the summer.  I had no idea this was one of my husbands favorite soups and he thoroughly enjoyed it as well. 

Pasta Fagioli (adapted from Skinnytaste)
1 T. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. fresh spinach, stems removed
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans
1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 t. fresh parsley, minced
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
1-2 t. black pepper
4 c. vegetable broth
2 c. water
8 oz. small pasta (I used Ditalini)
1/4 c. fresh grated Parmesan cheese

1.  Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  Add in the onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onion turns translucent.

2.  Add the spinach, carrots, beans, tomatoes, parsley, oregano, thyme, pepper, vegetable broth, and water to the pot.  Bring to a boil.  

3.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.


4.  Add in the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes or until it is cooked through.  Remove from heat, ladle into bowls, and top with fresh Parmesan cheese.






No comments:

Post a Comment