Pages

.

Chocolate chip zucchini brownies

I was so excited when our weekly CSA box came with some beautiful green zucchini. I absolutely loved the chocolate zucchini bread from the last batch and wanted to make something different this time. I sauteed some of the zucchini to go along with a steak that my husband grilled, and it was delicious. Then I saved two of the zucchini to make something sweet.

My Google Reader must have been reading my mind because I saw this post on Two Peas and Their Pod on the same day my CSA box arrived. Coincidence? I think not!

I was initially worried that this batter didn't include any eggs to bind the brownies together, but it worked out great. I was also surprised that there was no butter in the mixture either! I made these brownies one evening and had some chores to do around the house, and when I returned, I saw that a few pieces of the brownies went missing. Turns out that my husband had snuck a few brownies when I was away, and he said that they were really, really good.

I tried a little bit, and he was right - these zucchini brownies are pretty amazing. I couldn't taste the zucchini at all, and I loved how chocolatey the dessert turned out. They seemed more like a dense chocolate cake than a brownie, but I am not complaining.

If you have some zucchini that you want to use up, here is another recipe you could try!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 11 (I used a 9x12 baking pan) baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.

In a stand mixer, combine sugar, canola oil, and flour, combine until mixture resembles wet sand. While mixing, on low, add cocoa, zucchini, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes (mine baked for 25 minutes) or until a toothpick comes out clean and the brownies are set.

Cool on a wire rack. Cut brownies into squares and serve.

Yield: One 9x12 pan (I cut mine into 32 servings)

Source: Two Peas and Their Pod; originally adapted from Food Finery

No comments:

Post a Comment